Monday, May 9, 2011

Church Signs, pt. 2 (The Time for Salvaiton)

Here’s a classic church sign from the church right next to my house:



Oh, “Salvaiton”?  Is that NASA's newest rocket?

Because I thought what we were talking about was salvation.  Not “salvaiton.” 

Does this strike anyone else as being overly, ridiculously pathetic?  Probably the central tenet in the Christian faith, and the creators of the marquee can’t even spell it right!  And let me tell you, this is definitely not the first typo I’ve found on this church sign; apparently God also “dosent have a plan B.” 

For a long time, I felt like to call negative attention to the typos on church signs was not something I should be doing—like it was actually blasphemous, like I was actually railing against the holy text or the resurrection, like to call out flaws in any religiously-motivated institution was unquestionably a persecution of the body of Christ, and an outright sin.

But for the sort of people who make it a point to spell words correctly, what do signs like this say?  Don’t they, to a certain extent, say, “We don’t know what we’re talking about”?  And isn’t that a wholly negative projection out into a world where doctrine states that there are souls that need caressing? 

I am just so utterly sick of Christians being stereotyped as unthinking, unquestioning shells of thoughtful human beings, and signs like this just make matters worse.  I want to go to the doorstep, knock on the door and say “Hello, my name is Evan Barber, and yes I probably do have a wood plank in my own eye, but I’d like to be your full time editor.  The way this will work is that every time I drive past your church to my house, I’ll check your sign for typos or mistakes.  You can give me a key to the case, preferably a rigid key with a clasp I can wrap around the suction pole I'll carry in the trunk of my car, and if letters have been misplaced, I can reach the pole up to the letters and rearrange them for you.  I won’t even charge you, sir (or ma’am); just consider it a little positive reinforcement from a fellow believer.” 

This really is exactly what I should do.  So many people make it a point to point out typos in newspapers, restaurant menus, brochures, signs and other publications – when the topic of the messed up words is supposed to be sacred, it just seems like matters are made all the worse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment