Monday, July 4, 2011

I Want to Be a Truck Driver

I used to have this strange fear when I was riding in the back seat on the way to or from a vacation spot with my family.  My fear was that I would suddenly throw my iPod out the window and never be able to recover it.  

I'm not sure if I ever really believed I would do this thing, so much as I was weary of the consequences -- listening to music on a long drive has always been one of my favorite activities, one of my greatest pleasures.  If I threw my iPod out the window, and yelled to stop the car so that we might recover it, it would take my dad a couple of minutes to register what I was saying about the iPod so we'd be driving further and further, and of course it might break when it hit the ground or get lost if it fell off the road and into the weeds.  It would be the worst.  I enjoy listening to music on long scenic drives so very much that for a while, this was a serious fear of mine.  So maybe I've underestimated the amount of control I actually have over my own bodily actions (or is it that I've actually tapped into the lack of control we all really have as biological organisms?).  But for this same enjoyment-based reason I've actually considered becoming a truck driver for a time.

I'M COMPLETELY SERIOUS!

The drive up to a vacation spot has always been one of the best parts of any vacation for me just because I get to listen to music and watch the countryside pass me by.  And that's exactly what truck driving is-- long drives with whatever music you want to listen to.  And some of those guys make up to like $2.50 a mile.  That's a pretty solid chunk of change, ya heard?  I wonder how many truck drivers fill their cabs with their favorite CDs, and how many of them just listen to the radio or whatever.  In my eyes, bringing a whole host of your favorite CDs could make every truck driving gig an exciting adventure...

...at least for like a month or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment